Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Twisted?

When I told my husband about my idea for a thriller (after writing two romances), he glanced sideways at me and took a few steps back. Then announced he would be sleeping on the couch that night. I guess the idea scared him, which is great for a thriller. Or maybe I scared him. Which is not so great.

This is my battle when I write. Where did this idea come from? Am I twisted? What will people think of me when they read it?

Books that scare me, or books with really evil villains, fill me with both awe and envy. I don't think negatively of the author. In fact, it's just the opposite. I want to create things like that. Is that because I'm a writer? Or do all thriller readers have that reaction? I believe it's this second one, because a lot of those books are best sellers.

I think I will post a list of the authors whose books have inspired me to write great thrillers next to my computer to remind myself to ignore the voice in my head that questions what Aunt Sarah will think and listen instead to the other voices telling me the best way to torture that character.

Oh, wait. Maybe I am twisted.

No comments: