Wednesday, February 4, 2009

POV

I just finished reading Suzanne Brockmann's latest book called "Dark Of Night" - and loved it - as I do all her stories! The woman is a master of the deep point of view (POV). Master, I say.

She really gets into her characters' heads, thus pulling us, the readers, in with her. It's wonderful. Impressive. And loads of fun. I can read her books over and over again because I consistently get yanked out of my world and into hers.

Another book that really nailed POV was Elizabeth Bevarly's "Taming the Prince" (Desire #1474). Her heroine is a prim and proper girl with a bit of a British accent, while her hero is cool. Just one of the guys. A real down-to-earth dude. There is never a question in any scene who is talking. Each character's speech is so distinct it's like you're hearing it as you read. Fabulous! I re-read this one periodically for inspiration, too.

Got any great examples of POV?

4 comments:

Lexi said...

I love Jill Shalvis for POV examples. I totally get hooked into the characters and their world every single book. She writes Blazes and single title contemporaries. She does some suspense too. And she's got so many books out or coming out I can't keep up with her!

Fray-ee said...

Cool. I'll have to check her out. Thanks for the suggestion, Lexi!

Anonymous said...

I just got Jill Shalvis' book Instant Attraction (free book thanks to SBTB)and it sounds so good. I really want to start it, but I'm holding off on reading until my rough draft is done. So, I'll be checking her out for the first time.

Lexi said...

I hope you both love Jill's books!